Sunday, October 28, 2012

Hurricanes

Source
Having grown up in Florida I've experienced lots of different hurricanes over the years but I think one of the first scary hurricanes was hurricane Floyd in September 1999. I grew up in Central Florida and on the picture above we lived on the East coast where the Space Center is on the little part of the coast that juts out a little, so pretty close to where the hurricane was to hit. Of course, as luck would have it, hurricane Floyd came in September, the weekend of my birthday! And not just a regular birthday, I spent my 21st birthday in the dark with bottled water, boarded up windows and lots of books read by flashlight. Even Walmart was shut down and you know it has to be BIG for a Walmart to close! I'm not much of a drinker so I wasn't too bummed I didn't go out and do the whole bar scene or even try to buy alcohol but it does make for a memorable birthday.

Hurricanes can also be fun, well, before the cops drive through your condo complex and make you leave ;) My friend got some pics of me jumping straight up in the air and then getting blown a few feet away. It was very bizarre, I never experienced wind that strong before! 







1 comment:

  1. we've only lived in miami for three years, so no real hurricane experiences for me. the couple threats that have come through just didn't turn in to anything, which is good!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...