Monday, August 27, 2012

Evolution vs. Creationism

Source


I saw this article where Bill Nye (The Science Guy) "slams" Creationism and its really got me thinking today because my daughter has just started learning about evolution in school. 

Growing up in a conservative Christian home I always believed that the world came to be due to Creationism even though at school we were taught about evolution. As I've gotten older I've thought more about the idea and I'm not so satisfied with this black or white option. What if science AND religion are both right, in the theory of how everything started? One side believes "boom! with a big bang we have the world" while the other side believes "let there be light". What if they are the same thing?

Even amongst the religious groups there isn't a consensus about how they think things went down. Some believe in the literal meaning, that the world was created in 6, 24-hour days with the 7th being the day of rest while the other half believes that the days or other lengths of time may not be the same as the schedule we use now. I fall into the latter group and I'm really starting to think that maybe, just maybe some of the things that evolutionists and creationists think are true have some overlap. People  spend so much time fighting about this issue that they never really take the time to see the similarities. I thought this quote from the article was pretty interesting. I really thought more than 15% believed in atheistic evolution!

The Gallup Poll has been tracking Americans' views on creation and evolution for the past 30 years.  In June it released its latest findings, which showed 46% of Americans believed in creationism, 32% believed in evolution guided by God, and 15% believed in atheistic evolution.
I think I fall somewhere in between the 46% and the 32% groups. Life is not often only black or white and I think that its possible that there is some overlapping between the two theories. Humans are so complex and we HAVE adapted over time so for the idea that things on Earth have evolved and improved I can't say that I disagree with that. Where do you fall into those numbers?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...