Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Full Circle, MY Kid is Doing a Science Fair Project!

Well, I've hit that day that I've always dreaded. The day when a child whom I am responsible for is assigned a science fair project. Luckily Julie wanted to do something with candy so that seemed easy enough. She hit up Google and found one that sounded cheap, easy and fun. Winner!

A simple science project can be made with a cup of water and several M&Ms or Skittles. Students can drop the candies into the water letter-side-up and observe the reaction between the water and the edible-ink letters on the candies. After about a minute, an "M" or an "S" letter will peel off and float toward the surface of the water in the cup. Have student discuss water as a substance and how it has the potential to react with other substances.

It takes more than a minute for the "m" and "s" to come off the candy but it definitely did happen. Here are some pics of the project, I only uploaded some that were distorted with the funky lens but you get the idea.





1 comment:

  1. That's kind of a fun one. I had no idea that would happen to the letters. Makes me want to try it, but just kinda. lol. I'm scared of science projects. I hope I never have to be involved in one.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...