Friday, January 13, 2012

4 Reasons I hate Tim Tebow

If you are into pro football at all you know that the game tomorrow night between the Denver Broncos and the New England Patriots will be a good one to watch. Even if you are not a fan of either team one of the two quarterbacks will be going home disappointed. Being a huge New England fan, obviously I am hoping Denver does not win this game but there are a few other reasons why I hope that Tebow goes home defeated.
1.       Tebow is from Florida and I'm tired of hearing about him. He went to UF, the only college team out there that I do not like. I went to Florida State and my ex went to UF, so that pretty much sums up my feelings. Since Tebow is FROM Florida, I have been hearing about him for years and I'm really tired of it.

2.       I will freely admit that Tebow is a good athlete but I don't think he has enough experience as a pro football quarterback for all this attention he is getting. Being a good athlete will help you play the game of football but I don't think he is really all that well rounded. He needs to pass more, and be comfortable doing so instead of always resorting to running. During the last Broncos/Patriots game a few weeks ago you could tell that he got a little overwhelmed and made a lot of mistakes. I actually felt a tiny bit bad for him that he made mistakes like that with so many eyes on him, waiting for him to fail.

3.       I do not like Tim Tebow is because of his display of religion and faith. Before you think its bad for me to say something like that, let me explain. I am a Christian and I am glad that Tebow is too but it's the display of his Christianity that turns me off. I KNOW that his display of faith fires up a lot of other Christians and they LOVE that he does that but I think its probably turning off a lot more people and gives them a bad taste in their mouth about Christianity. I don't think it's helpful to the cause if you piss off a bunch of people in the process. Every time he closes his eyes and bends down to give thanks there are millions of people who are rolling their eyes or cussing at their tv screen making fun of him and what he believes. I know there are probably some people out there who have turned to God because of Tebow but I think he's probably turned off more people than he has won over. That really frustrates me because it doesn't have to be that way. He doesn't have to hide who he is and his faith but it would probably help to tone it down a little.

4.       The final reason I don't like Tebow is because it is freaking annoying for people to suddenly become fans of a sport/team just because of one person just because of one part of them, like their religion. There are plenty of other former UF players on other teams who you could have rooted for but you didn't. Take a look at Mitt Romney and how many people like him JUST because he is a Mormon. That's not the way to pick a leader! There are so many other things that make up people like Tebow and Romney, don't focus on one tiny part and think that they are God's gift to the world just because of that.

Final thoughts:

If  you are not religious and you see a man on a street corner holding a Bible yelling at you to repent and turn to God, would you take what he has to say to heart? Or would you discount what he said because of the way he presented the information? Another scenario, if you've lost your job and someone you knows brings you food, takes you out to lunch, brings you a small gift to cheer you up or meals for your family; would you take the time to listen to what they have to say if they wanted to share their beliefs with you? I know I would listen to them and respect their position, even if it was completely different than how I felt. I may even think later about what they had to say and would certainly not mock them for their beliefs because of how they presented their views.

Tebow, please take your enthusiasm down a notch. Let's not tick off the non-religious people in America by being so in your face about it and always making the time to display your faith by doing the "Tebow".

Brady, keep up the good work and tell your defense to actually play the game on Saturday.

6 comments:

  1. I agree with all your comments. While a great athlete he is not the best in the NFL and has many seasons to prove himself before he can be called the best.

    Kelly
    MyTimePassages.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and he hasn't even been a starting quarterback for a full season. He needs time and maybe a little more direction.

      Delete
  2. I totally agree with you. I also think that more non Christians are going to blame it on God when Tebow does fail in some way. God gets glory right now, but those same people will be quick to say it's God's fault when Tebow ends up in trouble or not playing as well or whatever. I don't know. I think it's all a bit much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judging by the comments I saw on Facebook after the game I definitely agree with you. The ones proclaiming it was "Tebow Time" before the game were silent and tons of other people were making comments about "God must not have listened to Tebow" stuff like that.

      Delete
  3. I agree and while I respect his commitment to his religion - it has become disingenuous by making his "prayer pose" his signature move on the field - like an end zone dance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Especially when people started making fun of his pose!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...