Friday, December 30, 2011

Saltine Chocolate Toffee



I've decided I'm not going to take a picture of my version of this Saltine Toffee because this picture does a really good job of showing what it looks like. You can click the photo to bring you to Pinterest or I've copied the recipe from the original site below.

Saltine Toffee

Most of the recipes online show the ingredients as saltine crackers, butter, and brown sugar but there are some slight variations in the quantities. The link I copied above is a good starting point and the pictures show exactly what it looks like but I adjusted the quantities of the ingredients a bit.

I made two batches of these treats because the first batch did not turn out at all. It smelled DELICIOUS but it didn't really work out the way the directions indicated so I know I messed it up somewhere along the way. I spread 40-ish saltine crackers on my silpat lined jelly roll pan and worked on combining the butter and brown sugar in a saucepan. The directions indicate that you bring the butter and brown sugar to a boil and keep stirring for 3-4 minutes until its a dark caramel color. I don't know if it was the amount of time I boiled it or something else but when I poured the mixture over the saltines I knew it wouldn't really spread too much. I put it in the oven and it was supposed to spread out over all the crackers and bubble up but it just got hotter and sorta solidified. I tossed out that batch and started over. This time I added more butter (about an extra half a stick) and it spread much more evenly and I was able to complete the recipe.

After looking online, I found that others had some similar problems at that step and they also added more butter or cut down the amount of brown sugar. I guess either works, you just have to decide which you'd rather do. Even with extra butter, you could still see that they were saltines and the samples I've had over the years didn't always show that so I may need to do some more tweaking. Other batches I've eaten you had to really look to see what was used on the bottom. I have also heard using matzo and I may get some of that to try out next time.

Its very addicting! Try it out!

2 comments:

  1. I used to make that all the time. It's soooo delicious and easy! Thanks for posting, reminds me to make some. :) Just what I need! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, my sister-in law makes this every year. I tried it this year and it turned out terrible! I'll try it again, lol. Found you on 2 peas. I'll be back!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...