Thursday, December 29, 2011

The Giver

I don't know why I didn't realize this was a young adult book while I was reading it. I've been reading most of my library books on my Nook this year so I didn't have to go to the children's area of the library to check this book out. Of course, the fact that Lois Lowry wrote the book should have been a big DUH for me, but it wasn't. It was still a great book though and I think it would be a nice book to read with your child if you have one. A lot of the info in here makes you think about your reactions or things you hold to be important and I think that could be a really valuable opportunity to talk about with your kids.

The main character in this book is Jonas and he lives in an Utopian world. Each person is assigned a role that they will fill as an older teen and adult. The children are assigned to the parents that will raise them but those in the role of "birthers" are the ones who carry the children. Then there are "nurturers" and they take care of the children until they are old enough to be given to the parents. Not sure how I'd feel about that but I wouldn't mind the idea of not cooking the meals, they are all brought to their homes daily! At 12 when Jonas is given the role as Receiver from the Giver (the wise old man shown on the cover) he discovers some of the dark secrets in his community and makes some tough choices.

I have not read the other two books in this series, partly because I didn't realize it was a series until I looked it up on Amazon later, which is how I also figured out it was a young adult book! The other two books in the series are Gathering Blue and The Messenger. I have a bunch of Amazon credit (thanks to Swagbucks!) so I may purchase the box set and read these with my daughter since its only $17 for all three.


1 comment:

  1. I read The Giver years ago and have given it as a gift many times. Love it! I can't remember if I've read the other two. Let us know what you think of them.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...