Wednesday, December 21, 2011

A Couple of Pinterest Food Fails

Do you ever see recipes online that look delicious and then you try them and are underwhelmed? I have hit a few duds recently and thought I'd pass them along. If you frequent Pinterest I'm sure you've seen the two Pins below and you may have even tried them. I may try to alter them later to see if they work out better but for now, they are not winners in my book.




This looks good, right? Like maybe the cheese and bread crumbs would hide the fact that this is actually a vegetable? Nobody else in my family liked this except me and I wasn't all that thrilled with it either. I know that the kids aren't as fond of fresh vegetables as they are of frozen or canned so that might be part of it but I thought for sure my husband would like this dish. The texture of the broccoli and garlic mixed with the saltiness in the Parmesan cheese didn't really go together like I was thinking they might. Our family LOVES roasted Brussels sprouts with onion, potato and garlic so I thought it might be similar but it wasn't. That darn picture makes it look so good though, I feel like I might want to try it again but it will definitely need some tweaking. 

Here is the direct link to the recipe: Roasted Broccoli






I volunteered to make rolls on Thanksgiving JUST because I wanted to try out these rolls. Because I am competitive and wanted to WIN at baking I decided to do a practice batch the day before just in case. SO glad I did that because these were not very good. They looked beautiful but the taste was way too buttery for me, and not at all in a good way. I don't know if I screwed it up or if they are supposed to taste that buttery but either way, I didn't want to bring them to dinner the next day.

I ended up finding another recipe in a cook book I had just bought at Barnes and Noble with my birthday gift card and those were much better. They tasted more like bread. The practice batch to me tasted like when I was a kid and my brother and I would stay overnight at my grandmother's and we'd melt half of a stick of butter and pour it over a bag of microwave popcorn and you'd get that "OMG that was WAY too much butter" sort of feeling towards the end. These rolls were very heavy and much too rich for me but they might work for you if you like that sort of thing. They did turn out picture perfect though, so if you need something to bring that looks REALLY impressive, these would be good for that. Very pretty!

Direct link to the recipe: Dinner rolls

3 comments:

  1. Mine were the cute reindeer cookies with pretzel antlers. My reindeer faces looked like alien weirdos and the cookies tasted like peanut butter mixed with baking soda.

    Fail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen those. Thats a bummer they didn't turn out that great, they look so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never tried any recipes I've found on Pinterest yet - generally just drool over the photos. Have a few I want to try soon though.

    Hope 2012 is a good one for you.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...