Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Toddler Run Over and Nobody Helped



I saw this video online last night while surfing around looking at stupid stuff and couldn’t believe what I was seeing. In the video you will see a young girl from China, about 2 years old, who is first hit by a truck and run over and then is run over by other vehicles and NOBODY stopped to help her for over 10 minutes! Apparently China has a different “Good Samaritan” law than we do here in the United States and it is reported that that was the reason why nobody helped this little girl. I find it somewhat interesting that a country has a law that causes its citizens to shy away from helping someone in need; I definitely need to check that out some more. In the end, it was a homeless woman that helps the baby but what does it say about the people and laws of China if this sort of thing happens so blatantly?

I know some might see the video and wonder why the mom didn’t notice her toddler missing for 10 minutes but I can’t judge her for this because I do not know the particular circumstances very well. Yes, I do wonder a little bit but that doesn’t bother me as much as the fact that nobody helped the little girl. As a mother myself, I do know that kids are much smarter than we usually give them credit and there is a good chance the baby might have gotten outside on its own, I don’t know.  I can’t judge though, she has a lot on her plate and I think the bigger issue is why nobody stopped to help.

When the truck initially hit the little girl it looks like the driver might have seen her at the last second, as she was hit by the front, right bumper. What gets me though is that he hesitates and in my opinion he could have hesitated for one of three reasons; he saw her at the last second, he felt the impact or that he felt that side of the truck roll over something. Yet, he did not stop and check. He continued on and rolled over her again! After the impact and running over her the first time when he hesitated he may have asked himself what happened, what do you think he was thinking when he ran over something a second time? I would like to give him the benefit of the doubt but I won’t. I think he knew.

I won’t go over each and every person who drove over the girl, drove around the girl or the people that walked by her when she was laying there injured on the ground, there is no need to do that. When I saw the woman finally come over to her and she tried to sit her up I almost cried as I saw the poor child’s body flop forward, lifeless. You could tell she was severely injured, which makes the inaction of the people who denied her help even more unforgivable. This was a baby and at the very least someone should have moved her out of harms way. When the mom finally gets to her I can’t even imagine thinking or feeling what she went through, I can’t and don’t want to go there.

I watched a few other videos as follow ups and it looks like the girl is in a medically induced coma and I don’t think they are expecting her to live. I will read up more on Good Samaritan laws in China but from where I sit it seems criminal to me that they would let this girl be so injured.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...