Sunday, August 28, 2011

Sing You Home

Sing You Home: A Novel

Sing You Home: A Novel
Finished another Jodi Picoult book and I was glad to see that this one focused on relationships that aren't 100% mainstream. Picoult is one of my favorite authors, her stories are always entertaining and since my family is all from New England I like that the majority of the stories are from places up there. I can always pick up a Picoult book and get out of any reading slump that I'm in at the time. The books always remind me of Grisham, just instead of lawyers stories in the South, they are medical stories set in the North. I don't think either will win the Pulitzer but they are always easy to read and entertaining. Since reading is a really great form of entertainment I don't really care if others aren't huge fans or if they aren't very high brow. Entertainment is entertainment!

On to the story. Picoult tackled the controversial issues involving gay marriage, lesbian relationships and the latest fertility treatments out there. Zoe Baxter is a music therapist who goes into schools and other facilities to use her music to help as a way to get through to people. Zoe and her husband have been trying to have a baby and in the process end up with some extra frozen embryos that they won't need. Years later when there are new relationships everyone's opinions of what is right and wrong is put out there for judgement when a couple wants to use those "unwanted" embryos. I don't know anyone personally in that same situation but it has definitely made me think about what position I would take. I used to be so closed minded about things kind of because of the way I grew up, since I didn't have a lot of experiences with people that weren't similar to me. It kind of sucks that it takes until I'm an adult to have my eyes opened like this but its better late than never! Reading this book opened my eyes to some of the other relationships people might be in and to the struggles some couples have with fertility. I'm becoming more compassionate and open minded each day, and I hope thats something everyone has the chance to do. It will make for a more peaceful existence :)

The idea of a music therapist was also interesting to me and was glad to see some of things they do mentioned in the book. I don't know anyone who is a music therapist or who has worked with any but the idea seems like it could really work. I know that when I'm stressed or someone's hurt my feelings that I have a sort of soundtrack for some of my moods and it gets me through whatever is on my mind. I didn't have the easiest childhood and I probably could have benefited from having access to someone like that when things were at their lowest. Either that or if iTunes could have been invented then LOL That would have been much easier than me sitting next to my radio with my tape player trying to record songs of the radio. I wish I had some of those tapes now, I bet they'd be a hoot to listen to now. Definitely one of those "listen once and burn" sort of things probably. Knowing me I was probably either singing (badly) along with it or talking to my cats. I think there *may* be one tape that I saved and its a doozy, 27.5 times of To Be With You by Mr. Big. Seriously? Mr. Big? That is so 80's, I love it! Its still my all time favorite song and I do here it from time to time on the radio and it always sends me right back to 3rd grade. I love it!

Here is a link if you'd like to read more or to purchase a copy for yourself


Sing You Home: A Novel


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...