Sunday, February 13, 2011

First Book of the New Year



I have a small goal for myself for reading in 2011 and I think I've landed at trying to read 30 books. It sounds like a lot but if I get off the computer and made myself read a little more I think I can do it. Even if I go in spurts and don't read one week I don't think it would be too hard to read two books the next to catch up.

Ok, enough about that. The first book I read was Freedom by Jonathan Franzen. Well, to be honest I really didn't read it, it was an audiobook. I'm still counting it though since I devoted tons of hours listening to the book. I didn't choose the book because it was an Oprah Book Club book, I don't like to feel like I'm a "follower". The last few years I'd heard a lot of recommendations to try his other book The Corrections so when I saw he had a new book I decided to read it so I could discuss it with a few of my friends. I've seen interviews with him before and honestly he seemed kind of like a butthead so I don't know that I went into it with an open mind.

A lot of the characters had a lot of really unlikable qualities that I unfortunately could really relate to some of them. Franzen really seemed to tap into the different characters to tell their part of the story and it was easy to see yourself in their shoes, thinking what they were thinking and feeling what they were feeling. If I were an unhappy wife who was flirting with my husband's college roommate I know I would have felt those same feelings and could picture how I would try to avoid my spouse when the friend was around or how I might try to find a way to spend time with him. If I gave more examples it would give too much away but if you've ever been in a failed marriage or an unhappy one this will give you a lot to think about and all the other chain of events if a marriage does go South.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...