Monday, February 14, 2011

Decision Points



Last year I read the book American Wife by Curtis Sittenfeld which mirrors the life of Laura Bush and I REALLY liked it. I've always liked Laura Bush, she seems so humble and gracious and I like that she has her own ideas and opinions and doesn't blindly follow her husband and accept all his positions on issues out there. After I read that book I knew I wanted to read Decision Points by President Bush. American Wife showed Laura's point of view of her relationship with her husband and she made him seem like such a nice, likable person and after reading Decision Points I think I would have to agree with the former First Lady.

I know politically he was not well liked both while in office and his legacy now but I don't think I'd put him in the "evil" category as some others would. I don't think that he made the best decisions all the time but I don't think that a lot of his mistakes were made with the malice that other people have described. Some of his decisions that caused a lot of controversy were explained in his book and although I don't agree with some of them, I am glad to have heard his side of why he made the decision.

The biggest decision from the book that stood out to me was the decision to stay with the children in Florida after he found out about the attack on the WTC on 9-11. As a mother, I am glad that he chose to stay with the children instead of running out of the building. I know this isn't a popular opinion and that many would have preferred he ran out of there immediately, but I think that he would have gotten just as much flack had he done the opposite. If I picture him in that room with my child, I'm glad he used that extra couple of minutes to let his team gather information. Probably the smarter thing to do would have been to excuse himself, talk to some aides and then returned. But he didn't and that will be something people hold against him but chances are those people probably have a whole list of other things they hate about him! LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...